Don't Get Stuck in the Wrong Story

If you ever find yourself in the wrong story, leave. ~ Mo Willems 
This quote strikes a chord with me since I've been there and done that.  I seem to have a knack for winding up in the wrong story, at times.  Either fortunately or unfortunately, I'm also prone to honoring commitments and have stayed way too long in the wrong story a couple of times because I married a story that seemed like a fairy tale and turned into a horror story - not once, but twice. 

Now, I'm not saying that I wasn't one of the characters in the story, but I will say that my character was always honest about who I was from the very beginning.  So it came as a complete surprise to me when, after marriage, two different men thought they could direct me into a character so far removed from anyone I recognized that I wondered who in the heck they fell in love with in the first place.

To be fair to them, maybe they honestly didn't understand that marriage wouldn't change me from who I am to who they thought I should be.  Ah well, the fairy tales we tell ourselves.  I, too, suffered from the apparently silly notion that they wouldn't change from the person I dated to the person they became after marriage.  Touche'.

I don't mind reading horror stories from time to time.  I just don't want to live in them ever again.       

Popular Posts