Some Amazing Yodelers

I'm one of those nerdy people who just loves good yodeling. I grew up listening to my dad yodel along to records by Jimmy Rodgers, Patsy Montana, Roy Rogers, and Bonnie Lou. Yodeling, however, is not just a country music phenomenon. It has a long history in multiple cultures. Most of us are familiar with the Swiss and German yodeling traditions, but too few are aware that it has a long history in Africa as well.

Yodeling is accomplished by finding the spot where one's voice breaks between what is known as the chest voice and the head voice (the falsetto voice). Depending on the culture, different sounds are used as one manipulates the voice back and forth over the break. For example, in the U.S., singers often use the phrase "little ole lady who" to practice. The actual phrases used differ depending on the culture. I hope you enjoy these fine examples of yodeling.




And I would be remiss if I didn't pay tribute to one of the best little yodelers the U.S. has produced in a long time - Taylor Ware 




Popular Posts